Thursday, January 28, 2010

Rosemary inspiration


It's a call for something warm in the tummy at a freezing 22 degrees Fahrenheit night here in Morgantown, WV. Brrrr. Despite the fact that we received our co-op CSA (community supported agriculture) bounty today, I felt pretty uninspired to make dinner when I walked in the door at 7:45 pm tonight. Well, that aside we must eat and we must eat well, smiley face.
We grabbed some veggies and started chopping, stir frying and cooking some grain. Tonights grain was teff, it's a tiny grain from Africa that is packed full of vitamins, protein and nutrients. It has a very pleasant very nutty flavor, I highly recommend giving it a whirl. Don't let the gelatinous feature scare you, it's quite tasty. I found a site with some teff info for you. http://chetday.com/teff.html

I'm calling this dish.....

Eggplant and Rosemary in love

1 eggplant, quartered and sliced
2 russet potatoes, quartered and sliced
1/2 yellow onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
3 leaves of rainbow chard chopped
1 Tbs rosemary
2 Tbs olive oil
sea salt to taste
dash of ume plum vinegar

1 cup cooked teff grain

Heat olive oil in your wok, on med heat. Add garlic, onion, and rosemary. Cook about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, eggplant and salt, cook till soft, 10 -15 (I check periodically). Add the chard and a dash of ume plum vinegar. Cook till chard has wilted and veggies are thoroughly softened and voila!
Serve with cooked teff and drizzle a high quality olive oil on top (I've been using a Greek olive oil called Theros, it is mouth watering). Delicious, quick and worth a try!

I love experimenting with grains. I've actually only had teff three times, the first time it lacked luster with whatever it was I cooked it with. I had it for breakfast with two over medium eggs and avocado the other day, and that was quite a treat. I'm am currently trying to get Brian to be a dear and make some dessert from our fabulous Flying Apron's cookbook.... but his Star Wars book has pulled him in again and my pleas may be a lost cause. I'll let you know if something gets baking! Yeah for food!


No comments:

Post a Comment