Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Split Pea Soup On A Wednesday Night


Love happens in the kitchen, this is something I believe. The inspiration for taking up this blog is to express the joy my fiance Brian and I feel when we create meals together. Greg Brown sang, "When the kitchen is happy, love stands a chance." Oh so true Greg, oh so true.

We cook all of our meals, literally we have eaten out at a restaurant 3 times in the past 10 months. Even while we road tripped across the country, we cooked on our Coleman everyday.
I look forward to our meals when I wake in the morning and when I come home from work. We have our standard fixes but are always creating new things. Culinary life is endless for us, even though we are "mostly" vegan, gluten free, soy free, and almost 100% organic. I say mostly vegan because we eat local, organic happy chicken eggs and once in a blue moon we eat goat dairy, and in an even bluer moon we have fish.
Tonight was another late meal. I didn't get off work until 7:30 so dinner started as soon as we got home. It was split pea soup and an amazing recipe at that! Brian cut the onions, bless his heart, they blind me, and we busied ourselves creating a feast for two. I'll share the recipe if you want to give it a go.

Stay Together Split Pea Soup

3 Tbs olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 fresh bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups dried split peas
5 cups water
juice of one lemon
smoked paprika for garnish
olive oil for garnish
lemon zest for garnish

Heat the oil in a large soup pot, add the onion, carrot, garlic and bay leaves. Sautee until soft. Add salt, pepper, peas and water. Bring to boil, lower heat, let simmer while stirring often. 40 minutes. Put 1/2 the soup in a blender, blend, return to soup pot,
add the lemon juice. Cook for 10 more minutes.
Serve drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with smoked paprika and lemon zest.

Tonight I only had 1 and 3/4 cups of split peas so I added 1/4 cup of red lentils, a nice addition. We also forgot to get a lemon at the co-op and made due without it.... though I prefer it with the tart sweetness of lemon juice, and the lemon zest really adds flavor!

Oh my goodness, that is gooooood!!!
I spilled some on the rim of my bowl... oops. The bread sticks are a new discovery from a brand called Chebe. They are pretty quick and have good texture and flavor for a gluten free mix. They are mostly tapioca flour and sadly not organic, but that's where the "almost 100% organic" comes to play.
Brian and I spend some serious time in the kitchen, so aside from the actual cooking there is tons of kisses, song singing, and kitchen floor dances, those I love, I even lead sometimes. Life is good, eat well and take care of your body, it's the only one you'll get!


4 comments:

  1. You make cooking sound so romantic. Now that we actually have a kitchen we can dance in we may have to try some of your recipes. I love stir fries, but have never put egg plant in. I once made a celery and leek soup that was yummy, but don't remember where I got the recipe... maybe you could create one for me. Keep up the good work. - Candi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made some awesome potato leek soup, but I shall search for a celery leek recipe that suits my fancy. We have tons of celery in the fridge, and the co-op has leeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your names for recipes put me in mind of that movie The Waitress. Yours are much sweeter though.

    ReplyDelete