Tuesday, April 6, 2010

BuNnieS and thEir egGs

Crazy winter has left the premises and spring came in the room like a good dance with an old friend. It is glorious here! The birds are singing, Morgantown is turning green again, daffodils are popping up everywhere. I never really appreciated spring to this extent, it's different when winter is so bleak, grey and white, and cold, not a green leaf to be seen. Anyhow, it's beautiful I ate breakfast outside in the sunshine, I want to live outside all summer.

I have been a serious slacker with my blogging, but oh well, I want to tell you about Easter.
Parker, Brian's nephew and his folks were down here on Sunday, the weather was beautiful, a perfect Easter day. Brian and I made our traditional Easter pancakes (this was the 3rd year, so it's tradition now). Then we got into dying some eggs. First let me tell you about Binion eggs, they come from a local woman and we sell them at the co-op. They are already colorful, green, blue, pink, brown, beautiful eggs! Aren't they? The pale ones in the picture are actually baby blue, so sweet.
We also bought some white eggs from the co-op and died them using our friend Susan's ideas, we used turmeric, red cabbage, yellow onion skin, beets, blueberries, and boysenberries. First Brian coated the hard boiled eggs with apple cider vinegar so the dye would stay better, then we mashed up blueberries, grated beets, boiled turmeric, steamed cabbage leaf ect...ect.
This is our outcome, I'll never do it any other way!
Parker got one of those egg dying kits, and the eggs came out super vibrant and neon, but quite toxic, not something you'd want to eat. I didn't even want to put the shells in my compost so I took the shells off before I composted them.

Which are your favorites? Yesterday I made avocado chipotle deviled eggs, they rocked. It's quite easy to do. Take 6 hard boiled eggs, half them and put the yolks in a bowl. Mash up one ripe avocado into the bowl, add a 1/4 tsp salt and a 1/4 tsp dried chipotle pepper. Plop heaping spoon fulls back into the cradle of the egg whites, and eat! Yummy!
We had our friend Ash over for dinner last night, we made that some curry dahl and those chick pea pancakes, it was quite good. Soon I will blog about the raw chocolate avocado pie I made, it was probably one of the best things I've ever eaten!
Enjoy the spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment