Thursday, February 4, 2010

You CaN't Go wRonG With nuTmEg




Last night I attempted my first quiche. Being that I made up the recipe, I was pretty pleased with the results. I used a blue cornmeal, pine nut pie crust recipe that I didn't follow close enough, the crust ended up.... too crumbly. It had amazing flavor, but I don't think I'll share that recipe until its perfected on our part. As far as the quiche itself goes, I'll tell you what I did.

The Final Five Quiche

4 local eggs
1/2 c. hemp milk
1 c. loosely chopped water cress
1 small red onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
3 small red potatoes sliced
2/3 c. crumbled chevre
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 tsp sea salt
olive oil for sauteeing
Prepared pie shell of some sort

Sautee onion, garlic, and potatoes in olive oil. 10 or so minutes until softened. In large bowl scramble eggs, add the remainder of the ingredients. Pour into prepared pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, ours took around 60, but I would check it at 45. Just make sure the center doesn't jiggle when you wiggle the pan. When you wiggle it shouldn't jiggle! I like that!

As both Brian and I were home yesterday and snow makes me want hot cocoa, I made us a couple of mugs. I really love the size and shape of the Campbell's soup mugs for cocoa, and I guess they are cute even though Campbell's soup is gross. So here's the way I do it...

Fit for Adama Cocoa

Enough hemp milk to fill both mugs
1 heaping Tbs 100% cocoa powder
1 and 1/2 Tbs Agave nectar or maple syrup
1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp sea salt
Fresh ground nutmeg to sprinkle on top

Whisk all ingredients (minus the nutmeg) in a pot on med heat, whisk frequently, until hot. Pour into mugs, add nutmeg, and savor!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment